Easy Sweet Potato Tortillas
Updated: Oct 1, 2020
Not only are Sweet Potatoes so freaking delicious but they are also lower in both calories & carbohydrates and higher in fiber & vitamin A than regular white potatoes.
Rich in complex carbohydrates & fiber, sweet potatoes are great in satisfying hunger for long periods of time, while providing a powerful dose of beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium.
In Ayurveda, sweet potatoes are said to be balancing for both Vata & Pitta.
Thanks to my recent Sweet Potato harvest, I’ve been putting these beautiful purple bad boys in pretty much everything these days - from cookies & perogies to these oh so easy homemade tortillas.
Give them a try! You can use any sweet potato - they don’t have to be purple, but it does make the dough pretty.
1 1/2 cup sweet potato
1 1/2 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp sea salt (optional)
1. Combine potatoes (steamed, peeled and mashed potatoes), flour & chia seeds in mixing bowl and stir until well-combined.
2. Using your hands knead mixture into a dough ball. If mixture seems dry, you can add 1 tsp water
3. Separate dough ball into 6-8 equal parts.
4. Dust counter with additional flour & roll out each dough ball into a tortilla with a rolling pin.
5. Place tortillas in hot, greased (ghee or coconut oil) pan over medium heat & cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
6. Stack cooked tortillas on plate & cover with a clean towel, while cooking the rest to help them stay flexible & moist.
7. Fill with desired fillings.